Please help my HOA and our community! Any advice is helpful.
A little backstory.
We have a “resident,” who to other community members describe as “squatting” in a home…
The resident obtained the home from a previous owner (not family, business partners). The original owner won big in Vegas and left the house to the current “squatter.” The “squatter” does not pay the mortgage or property taxes on the home - the house is either owned by the bank or the original owner (it’s very grey and something we need to clear up).
Theres a FAT elephant in the room ….
They have been the primary resident for 5+ years… and have not paid a single HOA fee quoting the original owner is responsible for those fees. Legally this may be true … but it is greatly affecting how much each homeowner must pay quarterly. Those missed fees have now amounted to >$5K in dues which our community desperately needs. The “squatter” had owned land in the community and paid HOA dues for those properties but has recently sold them all. It did not bother members much then, but now it has become a major issue bc there is 0 contribution.
They no longer contribute to the maintenance of the common municipalities, but have no problem using them.
Common municipalities include: septic maintenance, snow removal, electricity..etc The resident is also not contributing to the property taxes - which all community members share in HOA dues. In essence the community is picking up the tab (each homeowner pays on average $1600 this year alone with an increase from last year to supplement for the missing money!) for this resident and this creating severe animosity, obviously.
How should our HOA pursue this matter? Please help.
Edit: I volunteered for a position on the board only a few months ago and got the position so I don’t know why this wasn’t handled years prior…
Edit 2: We’re acquiring an attorney ASAP to file the lien on the home with the correct deed/title owner, which I have found through public tax records.
Similar to this post
- r/gofundmePlease help me in my fight against long COVID & escape...75%3Sep 24
- r/CharityPlease help me in my fight against long COVID & escape...79%0Sep 24
- r/newyorkcityPlease help us find our lost dog in Queens and...89%4Aug 20
- r/WhitePeopleTwitterPlease send thoughts and prayers for the Aussies!97%29Aug 22
- r/Warhammer40kPlease help with heroic intervention.100%17May 12
- r/HOAHOA sent us a debt collection notice from lawyer for a...91%321d
- r/HOAQuestion- HOA failed to include violation in CCI report...81%834d
- r/HOARiveting document sent by HOA84%1112h
- r/HOAIs Our POA Breaking The Law When They Pass Rules?100%306d
- r/HOALawsuit as HOA Board of Directors towards an homeowner.88%245d
- r/HOAMy window has been leaking ever since I bought the places76%3715h
- r/HOAAm I Required To Help Pay For Chiller?79%331d
- r/HOAQuestion - I have a water stain on my ceiling (attic is...100%62d
- r/HOAPlease won't one of you please be a Board member?100%314d
- r/HOAFoundation issues100%105d